In Focus – Benjamin Pike
Our In-Focus subject this week is Financial Life Manager Benjamin Pike. Ben provides some fascinating insights into his life outside of work.
- December 2004 – Graduated from the University of Wollongong with a Bachelor of Commerce, Majoring in Financial Planning. I started my Financial Planning Career with a small Accounting come Financial Planning Business in Wollongong.
- December 2006 – Sought out opportunities in Sydney and was offered what I felt at the time was a great opportunity with Westpac Bank, which was to be the Financial Adviser for their North Sydney, Crows Nest and Northbridge NSW. Branches. I agreed to start with Westpac in early 2007.
- January 2007 – Made the best decision in my career, instead of starting my career with Westpac. I made the decision to instead take a position with Treysta Wealth Management (then AFS North Sydney). I joined AFS North Sydney as a Para-Planner. It was a Para-Planner’s role to assist the other advisers of the firm prepare for their meetings and then assist them in determining the appropriate advice strategies for the client. It was in these early days that I began to gain confidence in this new firm and could see that they were always going to be market leaders in their approach to advice as well as their approach to the client.
- 2009 – The management of Treysta agreed to change my designation to Adviser, I could not be happier, I felt like my apprenticeship had finally come to an end and I could really make a difference to the lives of my clients.
What’s Next in Business?
My next step will be to develop as a Financial Life Manager in line with the next generation of advice being delivered by the Treysta business. I’m working hard to achieve this through my own value set in terms of what great advice means to me and my clients. In addition the business is supporting me through internal mentoring programs and external education where appropriate.
What’s next in Benjamin’s Personal Life?
I proposed to my partner Laura in December 2013, whilst meeting her family in London and Scotland. On the 9th of December 2015, we will be married. I am really looking forward to our wedding especially the ceremony, which will be held at what I feel is one of the most beautiful spots in Sydney Harbour, Bradleys Head.
Three things you don’t know about Benjamin
- During my early 20’s my Mum made a decision to adopt a baby boy (‘my brother’), since his adoption I have supported her in raising the little boy. As he got older, we began to notice aspects of his behaviour that were at times very difficult to deal with, at age two he was diagnosed with Autism. He is now 13 and remains challenging, the biggest struggle being that it is not possible for him to attend mainstream school. Currently he his home schooled by my mother on our family farm 3 hours north of Sydney.
- It is now one of my goals to one day start an organisation that will provide qualified school teachers and assimilation programs for children in regional communities that suffer from Autism. The design being that parents of children with Autism in regional Australia can access appropriate special needs education.
- I participated in the Oxfam Trailwalker Challenge, which is a 100KM walk through the bush from the Hawkesbury River to Middle Harbour. Prior to the walk, many of my clients, friends and family donated to the Oxfam cause, and as a team we raised close to $20,000. The Oxfam Walk was by far the hardest thing I have ever done, but what I can say is that I achieved something that day and proved that despite the odds it was possible for my body to complete the task. It truly was mind over matter.